How do these look to you guys?
Built to Order Altec 620 /Model 17 Cabinets 604, 605 & Coax Speakers Oak, Walnut | eBay
Being of "Sound" Mind
Not all vegetables make good leaders.
I think they are better than a person with no experience could turn out in their garage for sure. I can’t see close enough to really judge the workmanship but the case itself looks good. The work on the grill frame and bracing is not spectacular, I would expect tighter fitting joints from a professional.

I think they look good ! The grain matching on the veneer/ply is gorgeous... But my concerns too, are with the bracing ! I would have used 2x3's front to back and on the diagonals.
Aesthetically I think they look good.Put a nice stain and then some lacquer.. 3/4" x 3" pine boards are not great for bracing they flex quite easily.. Altec used dimensional hardwood. Oak I think ? My 612C's are MDF with white oak bracing..
AB, i think it depends largely on the vintage, the model, and what stock may have been on hand at the company that built them.
This is one of my factory 620's, i'm not gonna try to get species specific from the pic, suffice to say the knots obviously show the bracing is from the conifer family, spruce or fir wouldn't be bad, but i can't say for sure that's not some kind of pine without pulling a driver:
![]()
Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Yup those cabs looks like White pine to me... But I guess as the same old song goes with Altec they used whatever they had on hand same thing could be said about parts they used in their drivers.. That bracing you showed is in fact White Pine.
OTOH though, one other note those cabs weren't built by Altec ! Hill Craft Cabinetry ! Cabs that were built in house I was referring. Whether they were subbed out, or built in house, obviously will be some variation in materials.
Altec is ~ dead here in Hotlanta, so wondering who's doing these. This 421-8H they're listing looks like none I've seen either: Altec Lansing 421-8H Woofer Voice of the Theater VOTT | eBay
GM
Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Bookmarks